Comments Off on 5 Money-Saving Tips for Summer
Summer is just around the bend, and finally, it will be time to say goodbye to the winter’s biting cold and the harsh pollen allergies of the spring. As summer nears, wouldn’t it be great to avoid the extra expense you will incur for vacation, home cooling, water use, summer parties, camping, fuel, etc.? Here are great ways to keep the budget rolling.
Summertime is a time when people see fuel costs skyrocketing. That’s not difficult to explain. People go out and travel more during summer, thus driving the fuel cost higher. Consider carpooling, biking, or even walking. With carpooling, you get to enjoy the company of friends, while with walking, there’s a lot of opportunities for exercise and also, for seeing the views.
In summer, it’s so hot that you tend to think more about comfort than energy costs, but enjoying both a low energy bill and a home with the perfect temperature is not impossible.
- Have your AC inspected as early as possible. Do this early because labor costs for inspection and repairs by technicians also soar up during summer.
- Keep the AC under a shade so it can cool your area quickly. Seal all holes in the room. Look into opening your windows to let in cool air when the AC is not in use.
- Decide what time you need the AC on the most. Is it at night when everybody is sleeping or in the day when you do vigorous activities? Watching TV or just reading a book? Keep the AC off.
Summer Wedding Gifts
Make the most out of your summer season wedding spending. One, stretch your money with a group gift. It is not a far possibility you will be invited to a wedding party this summer. If you can gather friends who are also invited, talk them into pooling your resources to splurge on a group gift that the couple will surely love. This way, you can give a wonderful gift and at the same time, make wedding gift-giving economical.
While you target lowering the energy bill, it is also a good move to temper water use without sacrificing cleanliness and health.
- Check for leaks on the faucets and toilet.
- Have a bucket on a standby in the bathroom. Any unused water should go to the bucket and can be used for watering plants, washing the car or bikes, mopping, and for anything that needs cleaning.
There are surefire ways you can save money on a vacation without compromising the quality of your trip.
- When traveling, leave toiletries behind. Free toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner and soap are given free to hotel guests.
- Start early monitoring of daily deals offered in the cities or areas you intend to visit. Free restaurant coupons and being introduced to places/tourist spots you have never heard of before are two advantages you can have at the very least.
- Think of doing “public transportation” when you get to the city. It’s a lot cheaper than hiring a private service. Research beforehand. In most cities, you can get from the airport to your hotel by train or by bus.
Comments Off on Save Money on Your Air Conditioner: Tips for Spring
As the snow melts and winter ends, spring comes along and brings in the warm weather and a rise in humidity. In some cases, the increase in temperature after experiencing zero to negative degree weather can make you feel hot and uncomfortable. So you resort to using the air conditioning to make you feel less stuffy. This natural reaction to increased heat can raise your energy bill dramatically within a few days of continued use of the air conditioning.
To save money on your air conditioner, here are some ideas and tips you can apply at home.
1. Make sure that your rooms are completely sealed – a crack or a gap under the door can easily let in warm air from the outside. When warm air comes inside an air conditioned room, the air conditioner works harder at making sure that the temperature stays the same. This puts pressure on the motor and increases your energy bill. Cool air can also escape from the inside through these cracks or gaps under the doors. Make sure that your doors or windows do not have gaps or cracks.
2. Use thermal-backed or insulated drapes – sunlight can warm up a room even when the air conditioner is on. This makes your air conditioning work harder at cooling the room. Use thermal-backed or insulated drapes for your windows so that sunlight won’t easily get in.
3. Buy an energy efficient air conditioner – your old air conditioner that you bought in 2005 may still be working fine so you don’t feel the need to replace it. But did you know that it can be costing you more in energy bills than if you buy a new and more energy efficient model? Newer air conditioning models are made to be more energy efficient than ever as people are becoming more conscious of the high cost of energy. Consider replacing your old model with a new one.
4. Clean your air conditioner periodically – the dust and dirt that are trapped in the filters of your air conditioner can make the motor work harder at cooling your space. Make sure to clean the filter and other parts of your air conditioning from time to time. If you are unsure of how to clean it yourself, you can call a service center that specializes in cleaning air conditioners. They can clean your air conditioner for you for a minimal fee.
These tips can make sure that your air conditioner will work efficiently throughout the warm spring weather. If all else fails, open your windows to let the cool breeze in and save money on your energy bills.